Pages

Tuesday, August 14, 2012

Pesto Chicken and Ravioli

Someone commented on Facebook today that I use all healthy ingredients when I cook. I would love to agree with her, but if you've read the recipes I've posted, you would know that is not all true. I've never claimed to cook all healthy food, I enjoy cooking and I love to eat. That's why I'll be a member of Weight Watchers in some capacity for the rest of my life. Saying that, I've learned portion control and moderation, both which are important to lead a healthy lifestyle. The food that I am posting tastes good to me and my husband, and it is my hope that you will find a recipe that interests you enough to try it, and let me know how it turns out, and whether your family enjoyed too!

Let's cook!
I've been making this for my husband for as long as I can remember. It's a very easy dish, and takes about 30 minutes from start to finish, and it's a one-dish wonder, so it's a keeper in my book.


INGREDIENTS:
1T olive oil
1lb boneless, skinless chicken breast, cut into bite-sized pieces
1C. chicken broth
1 pkg (9oz) refrigerated cheese-filled ravioli
2-3 zucchini, cut into 1/4" slices
1 large red bell pepper, thinly sliced
1/4C. pesto
Parmesan cheese, if desired

Heat oil in a 12-inch skillet over medium heat. Cook chicken

in oil about 4 minutes, turning occasionally, until brown. Remove the chicken with a slotted spoon to a plate covered with paper towels so it can drain.
Put the same skillet back on the stove and on medium-high heat, add the broth and ravioli.
Heat it until it boils, then reduce the heat to low. Cover it and let it simmer for about 4 minutes.
Stir in the zucchini
the red pepper
and the chicken that's been draining on the paper towel
Now, here is where I wished I had used the skillet that I have with the 2" edge instead of the regular 12" frying pan. It would have made the next step a ton easier.
Cook over medium-high heat for about 3 minutes, stirring occasionally (this is where the higher edges would have been really nice)
until vegetables are crisp tender and the chicken is no longer pink in the center. I sometimes cover the pan just to make sure that the chicken cooks through, but this can make the vegetables a bit more... I don't want to say soggy, but they're not as crispy, still tasty though.
Add the pesto

and stir to combine and heated through, about 1-2 minutes. Here is where you can sprinkle on the Parmesan cheese, although I don't. Both the ravioli and the pesto have cheese, so I prefer to let the person who is eating it add cheese if they want to.
I usually enjoy a piece of garlic Texas toast with this.

Thank you for reading and feel free to leave me a comment.
Enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment